Boon Tong Kee: The Best Chicken Rice in Singapore

8:00 PM


There are a lot of brands in Singapore who specialize in chicken rice, both at high end malls and hawker centers. However, I will say that Boon Tong Kee is my number one choice! Numero uno!

In Singapore, Boon Tong Kee has seven outlets, but I usually eat at the MacPherson Road branch. I've read people saying that the MacPherson branch is the best, though I pick that one simply because it's the easiest one to reach. Indonesians who are really curious to try Boon Tong Kee but have no means to go to Singapore can try Woon Tong Kee at Kelapa Gading area. Despite the fact that the taste is not quite the same, Woon Tong Kee is indeed a branch of Singapore's Boon Tong Kee.

I will not say anything about Boon Tong Kee's interior nor anything along that line, since it's obvious that the place is humble and they are simply focused on delivering good food. Having said that, I find the open kitchen entertaining, as you can see the chefs in action. I especially love it when they cook with a big fire, it looks awesome. And they work super fast!




The first order, Signature Boiled Chicken (SGD 13.00) is the best! The chicken is soft and tender, and I can feel the meat slowly melting in my mouth with each bite... YUM! If you are eating in a group, it's better to order the half chicken portion. Single portion costs SGD 5.00, half portion costs SGD 13.00, and whole chicken costs SGD 25.00. 



Next, Hainanese Rice (SGD 3.00). The rice is fragrant, fluffy, and cooked just right! I love observing the shape of each rice grain, it looks perfectly elliptical and cracked well. If I had to be hypercritical, I'd say that the size is too small, when I'm hungry I can eat one and a half portion of it. 


I usually eat chicken rice with a little bit of ginger (you have to ask for it, they'll give some for free). It enhances the flavour, makes the chicken-rice combo more delicious, and blends everything perfectly- if you like ginger, obviously. I also order a little bit of vegetables on the side.


Besides chicken rice, I also love Boon Tong Kee's Crispy Beancurd (SGD 8.00) and Poached Chinese Spinach with Assorted Eggs (SGD 13.00). However, this time I only order the beancurd. The beancurd is crispy on the outside and very soft in the inside; it comes with a wasabi mayonnaise sauce. To be honest, I can't really taste the wasabi, maybe it's more for the purpose of colouring the sauce? Anyway, I'm not a big fan of repeating the same thing twice in one article, but similar to the chicken... The beancurd literally melts in my mouth!


For drinks, my favourite is In House Barley Water (SGD 2.80). True to its name, it's homemade and fresh; they make a new batch every day! Their Lime Juice (SGD 2.80) is also nice. Please note that water is not free (SGD 0.50), and neither is wet tissue.
Left: Lime Juice. Right: In House Barley Water.


I will say that eating at Boon Tong Kee is quite expensive, but it is worth the money. I always feel satisfied after eating; the dishes are simple but rich in flavour. Love it!

M.


Boon Tong Kee, Singapore

399/ 401/ 403 Balestier Road (from Toa Payoh MRT, take bus 145) Singapore 329801 (+65 6254 3937)
425 River Valley Road Singapore 248324 (+65 6736 3213)
199 East Coast Road Singapore 428902 (+65 6478 1462)
18 Cheong Cin Nam Road Singapore 599742 (+65 6463 2289)
470/472 MacPherson Road Singapore 368188 (+65 6746 2744)
Blk 233 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 #01-1194 Singapore 560233 (+ 65 6457 2696)
Blk 34 Whampoa West #01 – 93 (beside Boon Keng MRT) Singapore 330034 (+65 6299 9880)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Featured Post

Magical Day at Hong Kong Disneyland

Fewer things can make twenty-something girls go from completely silent to completely ga-ga compared to the word ‘DISNEYLAND’. Unless some...

Subscribe