Jakarta Biennale 2015—A Personal Reflection

8:32 PM

Jakarta Biennale 2015
As a complete amateur in the world of contemporary art, coming to Jakarta Biennale 2015 feels like Alice who falls down the rabbit hole: awe-stricken, amazed, and bewildered. 

Jakarta Biennale 2015
Jakarta Biennale transforms the unassuming Sarinah Warehouse at Pancoran into one giant space of artwork parade. With its bright pink-painted walls and attractive graffitis, this biannual expo leaves little room for casual visitors to feel intimidated by the so-called standard of art exhibitions: wall lamps and cold white walls. It makes me feel excited. It makes me want to explore. 
Jakarta Biennale 2015
Jakarta Biennale 2015
Jakarta Biennale 2015
Jakarta Biennale 2015

The theme “Maju Kena, Mundur Kena: Bertindak Sekarang”, which translates to “Neither Back nor Forward: Acting in the Present”, is further explored in three subjects: water, history, and gender. It’s hard for me to truly grasp and dwell on every single exhibit, simply because everything seems new to me. Everything looks interesting. Every issue looks crucial. More importantly, it makes me think of how many issues are happening in this world. So. Many. Issues.

Evelyn Pritt’s work speaks to me the most. It shows photographs of water in some locations at Jakarta and Bogor, as well as some white t-shirts. Each t-shirt has been washed in different location, thus can show the cleanliness of that specific area. As a Jakarta resident who has been living here for more than twenty years, this exhibit makes me think about all the floods we have been experiencing; how we love to blame the government for everything. The truth is, our behaviours affect water. Our habits affect water. Our way of living eventually decides whether water becomes a friend or an enemy.
Jakarta Biennale 2015

I could go on and on about how each artist’s work makes me head spin into a million directions, but I won’t. Truth be told, Jakarta Biennale has given me an endless list of questions, one that I don’t know how to answer. While encouraging people to act instead of think and to revel in “small victories” amidst this chaotic world, it truthfully leaves me feeling more confused than ever. What does “acting in the present” even mean? What can I do? Won’t all these questions leave me in limbo of thoughts instead of finding a solution?
Jakarta Biennale 2015

My head is a jumbled mess of ideas—is that what art supposed to do to your brain? Thank you Jakarta Biennale, for making me think. 

Sincerely,
Your confused writer

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Featured Post

Magical Day at Hong Kong Disneyland

Fewer things can make twenty-something girls go from completely silent to completely ga-ga compared to the word ‘DISNEYLAND’. Unless some...

Subscribe